Wrightsville Beach Museum Waterman Hall of Fame – We are proud to announce the Class of 2017
Nancy Fahey – Local Hero
Ryan McInnis – Diving
Reggie Barnes – Beach Culture
Roy Turner – Surfing – Special Recognition
Sammy Corbett – Fishing
Murray Seidel – Sailing
Join us on Sunday, October 15 at Blockade Runner Resort in the Lee Ballroom from 1 to 4 pm as we celebrate the importance of water culture to our community and induct this Class of 2017.
- This award was created to reflect the importance of community spirit and personal contributions to the culture of water sports throughout the history of New Hanover County Beaches.
- We wish to celebrate those individuals and groups who represent sportsmanship both in and out of the water.
- Those we recognize with this award exemplify the best of Wrightsville Beach in their character, demeanor, and spirit both in
The museum has in place a new outdoor HURRICANE EXHIBIT!! On Saturday September 16, Dylan Rosbrugh’s Eagle Scout project, an outdoor Hurricane exhibit, was installed. It is a perpendicular timber, made from salvaged Crystal Pier wood, noting local storm surge levels It describes the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale, the use of storm flags, the naming of hurricanes and define Storm Surge.
- October 15 – 4th Annual Waterman Hall of Fame Induction and Celebration at Blockade Runner. Join us in this festive community celebration of our beach’s finest!
- October 26-28– Plein Air Event. Artists will paint Wrightsville Beach landscapes. Look for them painting across the beach. Scout out the ones you will want to take home on Saturday.
- October 28 – Wet Paint Sale, 4-6 PM at the museum. Come by to take home views of our special beach.
Plein air artists are invited to participate in the Wrightsville Beach Museum of History’s fourth plein air event.
To provide artists with a venue for plein air painting of this scenic, historic seaside town during perhaps its most beautiful time of year is an exciting opportunity. To encourage participation in this event by the public, the museum will ask for the artists to inform the museum, when possible, of the locations of the artists’ worksites. We will offer this opportunity for visitors to drop by and watch the artists as they paint if we have that information. 30% of the sales will support the museum.
The event will take place Thursday, October 26 through Saturday, October 28.
And a painting raffle! Raffle tickets for Ann Hair’s painting “Museum Roses” – one for $5.00 or five for $20.00. Come by the museum to get your raffle tickets or see a museum board member. Drawing October 28.Registration Form Rules and Information
October 1 – Book Signing and Book Launch for 10th Anniversary Edition of Luminous Island with Ray McAllister.
New, enlarged edition. Special book launch pricing. Author will give a short illustrated talk and sign books. 4-5:30 pm at the museum. Get them at this event before they are anywhere else!
On Sunday at 4 pm we will have the author of Luminous Island: Wrightsville Beach at the Coastal Federation Building across the parking lot from us with a short talk and a book signing. This is the new 10th anniversary edition of this well-written and well-researched – and the only one currently in print – history of Wrightsville Beach. This week and at the event we will be selling these $23.95 books at a discount of $22.00 for a single book or $20.00 each when you buy 5 or more.
Fun and light refreshments! Great opportunity for early holiday shopping. Presale online at event pricing:ORDER HERE
2017 Lifeguard Reunion and Dedication of Wrightsville Beach Lifeguard Memorial – Saturday, September 16
Lifeguards of Wrightsville Beach: A Legacy of Service
We had a great turnout for this and a really good time as the lifeguards met up to celebrate and tell the stories of their time on the beach! Come by and see the lovely Lifeguard Stand Memorial with plaques for fallen Lifeguards and Ocean Rescue Team Members.